Sunday, June 17, 2012

Newton Before Redemption


The conversation below has been lifted from Richard Bronson’s new book, “The War at the Shore,” an account of the struggle between Donald Trump and Steve Wynn over control of Atlantic City gambling interests. These words, perhaps harsh, were uttered by Ernie Newton before he ascended to Connecticut’s State Senate, according to Lennie Grimaldi, and well before Mr. Newton was carted off to prison for having accepted political bribes. Now a repentant sinner, Mr. Newton is the Democratic Party nominee for his old senate seat in Bridgeport, where else?
But for pure naked All-American avarice, the prize goes to a certain clown named Ernest Newton II, the Democratic state representative from Bridgeport …
“I have an idea,” said Ernie
“What is it?” I said.
“You lend me some money. Cash, of course, Then, I forget to pay you back? How’s that?”
“I said, Senator, I can’t do that.”
To which he replied: “Well, here’s what you can do. You can get the hell out of my office!”
Mr. Newton’s response:

“This is absolutely false, but unfortunately not surprising. When I decided to subject myself to public scrutiny again by running for office, I understood this kind of stuff comes with it.

“There are going to be plenty of people trying to tear me and my campaign down – and we know facts aren’t necessarily required. This campaign has never been about me – it’s about this community and raising the awareness of its need. The chorus of our voices will elevate that discussion while the long overdue redemption and opportunity for our community is placed in highest priority.”

No comments:

Post a Comment